Any tips for learning all the notes on the guitar fretboard?

Yeah! You just have to figure out the patterns of the fretboar, and once you figure that out it becomes a lot easier

I’ve used this to help learn the notes on the bass. It’s actually very good. Another very similar method is
found here How to Learn the Notes of the Fretboard (7 Step Fool Proof Formula) - YouTube. It’s for bass but of course can be adapted to guitar. However, it helped me memorize the notes, but only in a certain order. I made up lots of different exercises to help me learn the notes more globally and in any context, but then my memory capacity shut down. I’m 63 and have some issues with my memory, recalling, etc, so if you are younger and don;t have memory issues, then you can probably go far in learning the notes.

Instead of this note name learning, the next project for me is to
(1) learn how to play the bass without looking at the fretboard (pp. 35 - 46 of the IFR Method book)
(2) sing a note then play it on the fretboard.
(3) sing/play multiple notes. Hear the note in my head then play it.
(4) Practice playing bass using songs with very simple basslines to reinforce (1), (2), (3) above
(5) Work my way up to play Jazz Walking Bass Lines using (1), (2), (3) and Sing the Notes 1, 2, 3,
and Ear Training for Musical Creativity
(6) Work my way up to Recognizing Chords by Ear
(7) IFR Standards Workout 1 and 2

So, this Project should last me… a forever number of years. :smiley:

1 Like

Good advice @mcaputi.

Very true, and welcome to the community!

1 Like

Thank you, @mem . I appreciate it.