Is anyone doing the Campfire Challenge?

I suspect you will too! I’ll be signing up for another too, my fourth. It’s a good way to get me to play piano more often. It’s not my priority instrument, as I’ve always got stuff to work on with other instruments, but I think it’s a great way to practice, Lots of fun and freedom.

I might try out a different key this next month, just to see how that goes.

This second month I’ve found that as the month progresses I’ve drifted further from the basic constraints suggested in the 10 day challenge (as adapted to Chapman Stick) & rate that as “A Good Thing”. Doing the official 10 days again will give me a reset to the basics from which to (hopefully) grow again.

Cyclical learning & development. :smiley:

Well, like Tony says, the rules are there so that you can have fun breaking them!

I just had a try in the key of C, very interesting trying to translate from Gb but really helps you think about what you are playing in tonal numbers.

I’m doing my 5th campfire challenge, this time on piano and trying it on guitar. I’ve returned to Gb on the piano, and seeing if I can make Gb work on the guitar. It’s an interesting exercise. Being familiar with the sounds I can make on piano, I find myself trying to recreate similar melodies on guitar.

Although not designed on guitar, it’s interesting to see if the same landmarks and visualization methods can be used on the fretboard.

@mem I think a significant advantage that keyboard has over fretboard with the Campfire exercise is the relative ease of making multi-octave hops just for a single note such as a ‘spark’.
Plus of course on guitar we don’t have the luxury of playing notes independently with each hand! However, yesterday & today i was trying it out on guitar during Tonys run through of the day’s exercise - then reverting to (two handed) Chapman Stick for the 5 recording & beyond.

I’m starting to view the challenge on guitar as a “how do I produce what I hear in my head to this instrument” sort of question.

Having done a few iterations now, I can hear little phrases (some that Tony plays and some that I play) in my head, and I try to find them on the instrument. I’m not hugely experienced on either instrument, so this is not easy, but it’s exactly the kind of practice I’m looking for to improve my ear skills.

I started my drawing a fretboard (in P4 tuning) and seeing where the white and black keys were. I wanted to find out how Tony’s Units looked on the fretboard. I couldn’t find equivalent (easy to identify) shapes, but I did see that the Borders (notes B, C, E and F) formed clusters of 4 (2 strings and 2 frets).

As I understand it, Tony uses these as fixed landmarks, whereas the camp and fire, logs and sparks, are movable, depending on the key chosen.

So, I’ve started with Gb, just as an equivalent comparison with the piano. Just finding all the Gbs and Bbs on the fretboard is a useful exercise in itself! Then I setttle onto the D and G strings for the campfire, and from here I can get a log on the E string and a spark on the F string. I can explore some of the landscape from here, and I can do a heads and tails. It’s a bit laboured sometimes, involving a bit of finger swapping, but it’s fun exploring what’s possible.

@mem Yes I think that’s the best approach to take. Not “How do I replicate this on my instrument” but “How can I best make use of the general ideas behind the exercise on my instrument”.

This time round (my 4th) it was particularly hard (reluctance, rather than technical issues) to drop all the way back to “Only the balanced Camp & Fire ‘heartbeat’” on Day 1, after the previous over 20 days of “No constraints unless I choose” them. LOL!

Hi mem! Nice to see you over here. You are correct that we have both fixed landmarks defined by keyboard shape, and then movable patterns such as campfire (and many more in our setlist of concepts). The landmark “border notes” of C,E and F,B are very specific to keyboard geography (the edges of Unit 1 and Unit 2) and may not be particularly helpful on guitar.

But we do “move” the concept of direct resolution to camp (7-1) and fire (4-3). These border notes just happen to fill that role in our starting key of Gb. One advantage of the guitar is that those half steps are a little easier to see but on the keyboard it can be a challenge for people at first. Would love to hear how it’s going for you on guitar! From what you say above it sounds like you have a good start.