Sing the numbers

I have almost finished the improvise for real course and have levels one and two jam tracks and Sing the numbers one. I understand that Sing the numbers one is all in the first harmonic.Which is the first note in the key. I understand that sing the numbers 2 explores all the 7 harmonic enviroments.I dont understand why they dont say which the key of each track. Isn’t it important to know that or is it just the separation of the notes that is important. What is the difference from sing the numbers two and three? Also are they staying in one octave or are they extending to the next octave also. I actually have a bunch of questions about the different products i purchased thru IFR. Is there anyone who really knows this content that I could actually call or call me to discuss. Let me know Thanks

Hi @Randy. Welcome to the forum. I’m only a user, so not in anyway 'official, but my take is that the key isn’t mentioned as a (subtle?) way to emphasise that it’s not important?

Music is relative.

If you knew that the 1 of a given track was, say, C. Might that lead to you thinking that you only knew the relationships of the notes in C?

For an official view it might be a good idea to tag @ImproviseForReal (David Reed) or @MireiaClua in to the topic?

Absolutely, @DavidW explained it perfectly. Sing the Numbers is about learning to recognize the sounds relative to the overall key of the music, so the sensations that we are listening for are the same in every key.

@Randy, did you get my e-mail response to you? Here’s the summary I explained about the difference between Sing the Numbers 1, 2 and 3:

Sing the Numbers 1 takes place in what we call the first harmonic environment. Note 1 is the tonal center and there are no chord changes. This corresponds to what you have in IFR Jam Tracks Level 1: Seven Worlds in just that very first lesson on the “First Harmonic Environment”.

Sing the Numbers 2 expands this to include all seven harmonic environments. So this corresponds to the rest of what you have in IFR Jam Tracks Level 1: Seven Worlds.

Sing the Numbers 3 expands this to include chord changes. This corresponds to what you have in IFR Jam Tracks Levels 2 and 3.

For more detail, the best place to go are the product pages on our website:

I believe that all three courses are pretty self-explanatory. There are definitely moments when we cross the octave line, extending into the next octave as you say. But this is all explained in the teaching content that accompanies the lessons. So I think that if you just take your time with any one of these products and read the teaching content (especially the practice tips), you’ll have no trouble practicing the exercises. And if you have any questions about what that practice is, you’re always welcome to post questions here.

Does this answer your questions for now?

David

I love the Sing the Numbers series, and have just purchased level 3. These are very useful, not just for singing the numbers, I also use them with my instrument(s). They are great for practice navigating the lanscape of your instrument, getting familiar with the Seven Worlds, and now with level 3 I’m looking forward to exploring Pure Harmony. While I do find improvising great fun, and the ultimate goal, I find that using this series sort of frees you from the pressure of improvising your own melodies.

I’m currently experimenting the chord melody on guitar, just using the bass-player/root notes from each chord, with a simple melody and looking forward to trying this with series 3.

Congratulations on the release of Sing the Numbers 3.

This guided dig into melody paths via oft-encountered progressions is going to be wonderful to experience!

Q: Just to be sure, in Sing the Numbers 3 will we be again singing with Mireia?

In fact, looking at the product pages, I don’t see that any of the product pages for Sing the Numbers products actually say “You’ll be singing along with Mireia Clua …” (or equivalent). I suggest that be added to the product page text.

@sj1 Yes, I can confirm that. :smile:

I’ve purchased StN3, but as I’m currently doing Mireia’s Recognising Chords by Ear course, I’m restraining myself & only listening to the tracks that are relevant for the chords we’re looking at in the current week (as a sort of ‘optonal extra’ to the excellent materials that are part of the course).

1 Like

Just work the key out by listening with your instrument. I like this especially the new sing by numbers and both play the instrument also sing at the same time. This connects you more. Also improvise small phrases behind Mireia . Mireia, has her favourite keys, that she uses!!!

1 Like

@sibbo01 Indeed. :slight_smile:

PS. Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

It’s so great to hear all of the different ways that people are using Sing the Numbers 3! Incorporating your instrument is a fantastic practice. And yes, Mireia is singing the melodies on all of our Sing the Numbers courses. :slight_smile: - David

Yes I think so thanks. I have been practising sing the numbers three and playing my guitar with each lesson. I am able to figure out the key and play along. I am assuming that I should just play the root note of each Chord, I shouldn’t play the 135 of each Chord correct? Are there any other Spotify playlists I can download that have the same chord progression with each song let me know thanks

Hi Randy,

We’ve created a bunch of Spotify playlists for our courses and workshops. Some playlists are defined by a single chord progression so you can use them to learn the sound of that progression. Other playlists include multiple chords and progressions, but all taken from a short list (e.g. chords 1, 4, 5D and 6-), so these playlists are intended for testing your ability to feel these chords and recognize them. You’ll see all of these playlists on the page for the IFR profile on Spotify:

I hope you find them useful!
David

1 Like

That sounds great. Can you put them on YouTube music too :slightly_smiling_face: