This does for RHYTHM. what IFR does for harmony

Just started reading this $5 short ebook, I am half way through, but already I can confidently say that it does for rhythm what IFR does for harmony… a universally applicable system underlying most of music. And a method to use to make better rhythms

The book is written in the context of pop songs, by a successful composer. I believe this is going to improve my music practice a lot.

4 Likes

I read it through once and it certainly looks interesting. Have you recreated the examples for yourself yet?

Not yet. I work slow. Rhythm beyond marching band has always been a problem for me, but I have high hopes for this approach. Will take me lots of practice, just like IFR.

1 Like

As I do not want to take away the profits for the author (who asks a very reasonable price for his booklet), I only say that the author points at some strong points in any 4/4 measure for melody notes or improvisation. These strong points are organised around the claves of salsa rhythm.
I like the idea of it, and, what is more important, it works for me in improvising.
I only wonder how to apply this rhythm code to 3/4 music.

1 Like

I bought it on the basis the author had spent many hours developing and documenting something of interest to me and was only charging the price of a couple of coffees. It was an interesting read and enough for me to put it on my (never-ending) list of musical things to do in more detail.

You’re right. Maybe this system the author develops does not cover every possible rhythm style. But it covers a lot, in fact a vast amount in pop and jazz styles. So I’m going to study it. I expect to get more than any other single approach. Right now I’m starting out by improvising over the clave. It’s great fun to to.

1 Like