Extended exercises for SINGING THE NUMBERS

If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.
Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

You, David @ImproviseForReal & @MireiaClua ,are our ‘giants’.

It’s not a perfectly appropriate use of the quote as I’m sure that I at least do not see further than you do! However, you certainly enable me to see further than I would otherwise. Thank you. :smiley:

3 Likes

This is why this forum and IFR is such a treasure. I really appreciate your generosity and willing to share your knowledge.

Thank you David.
I have added the complete set of (enhanced) files to a RAR archive, which displays the required information regarding copyright on opening (as well as being contained within the archive as a text file).
I have password protected the archive, so even if the link to the file is shared, the password will only be available on request, via this forum.
I hope this addresses your requirements for sharing.

1 Like

Here is the link to the STN1 (FTN enhanced) versions of the course files:

If you would like a copy, please message me for the archive password.

1 Like

I’ll second that, most certainly!

Thank you @Paul for producing the material, looking forward to checking it out.

2 Likes

The password protected archive, complete with copyrigt notice, is a really neat idea @paul.

You have a PM. :smiley:

2 Likes

This looks beautiful. Thank you @Paul for your generosity in setting this up for everyone’s benefit. I’ll PM you for the password, as I’m excited to check it out too! - David

2 Likes

Thank you guys - you’re very welcome.
All PM’s have been replied to :slight_smile:

1 Like

@paul @mem @hender99 @ImproviseForReal My first impression (just listening to ‘week 10’ tracks 19 & 20) is that they feel harder (i.e. a step up from) the equivalent official Ear Training for Musical Creativity FtN tracks (22 & 23), and that’s with not coming to them ‘cold’, i.e. I’ve heard StN 19 & 20 many many times.

I’m pretty sure this is no coincidence, since as I’ve mentioned before the ‘official’ FtN were clearly designed for the purpose, with sequences that feel to have been devised to lead the user carefully by the ear without the safety net of sung numbers; a ‘challenge’ but a fair challenge and with many groups of patterns arranged such that, even though usually different, the ‘next’ pattern often has a relationship to the ‘previous’ that aids your perception of ‘was I correct’ .

However, at the right point a ‘step up’ challenge is good. I’ll be thinking about how to best, & when, to introduce these into my playlists. Thanks again @Paul . :smiley:

PS. the first thing I did was to convert the files to .mp3 since my Digital Audio Player doesn’t understand .mkv.
There are various applications that can be used to do such conversions. Some are free but a few years ago I purchased Wonderfox Video Converter Factory Pro and find it very handy for video & audio file format conversions (clipping, etc.,…).

1 Like

@DavidW - you’re welcome. I’m glad you find them useful.

With regards to the mkv file, it is basically just a container for the MP4 video, MP3 audio and SRT subtitle files.
For anyone downloading the FTN set, if you would like the mp3’s, PM me.

I downloaded the videos, and have been using them alongside a re-run through of Ear Training for Creativity course, so just the first 3 or 4 lessons so far.

Not noticed a leap in difficulty, but maybe it’s not apparent in the early lessons. But yes, it could be that the tracks with sung numbers are a little more challenging than the Feel the Numbers purpose made ones.

The mp3 only versions will be useful for putting on different devices. I’ll PM.

@mem @paul Yes, I suspect there is less difference in the earlier lessons.

I’ve been using StN & ETfMC FtN together for a good while & it’s in the later weeks that there is the greatest divergence in patterns. With the ‘week 10’ files there is a clear difference, especially at the start. However, even there I’d describe the perceived difference in difficulty as a ‘step’ rather than a ‘leap’, & as I wrote that can be seen as a good & positive thing. :smiley:

I should also add that I’m sure that the StN sequences are carefully thought out too, it’s just that the design criteria could be different for the two different contexts?

I would like the password, please, this looks very helpful!

Hi @Paul
Could you please send me the password for the STN files?
I have purchased the IFR E-Book, STNs 1 to 3 as well as the Blues Mastery Course and Standards Workouts 1 and 2.
I noticed that you also offered the files in an MP3 format. If that is still possible could you please send me the link for them?
Thanks for your contribution to this forum. Although I haven’t participated yet, I really appreciate the help it provides.
Cheers,
Graham

Hi Graham,
I recieved your private message a week ago - please see the reply.

Hi Paul
I replied to your question about lesson 19, but have not received any message since then.
I figured posts had gone missing so thought i would contact you through this forum.

Hi Graham
Could you resend the message please - I didn’t receive anything (and it will be best to discuss over PM so as not to clutter up the thread).

I’ve just prepared a more comprehensive version of that list for a different topic here on the Forum: SingByNumbers-Track01 - #14 by DavidW

I thought I’d update this topic now that I’ve finished creating a complete set of FTN files for myself.
As I mentioned on another thread, the last iteration of the files I made was to take all of the number sequences in STN lessons 1-13 and remove all the duplicates to create one FTN “master file” for the first half of the course.
After spending some time with that, I then did the same for lessons 14-22 and finally one for the entire course from lesson 1-22 (again with all duplicate sequences removed).
Each of these 3 master files were made into 8 versions, using all 8 keys used throughout the course and played back at the 6 different tempos (80,90,100,105,110 and 120bpm).

For some of the previous files, I made alternative versions which were in a different order to counter the familiarity of simply resighting them from memory - which TBH I think is quite helpful in the early stages to help get the sound familiar.
Once I believe I had gotten to the point where I thought I was proficient enough though, I wanted to really test myself.
Rather than create more “alternative” version files, I went looking for another way…
After a bit of experimentation, I came up with a solution:
I took the FTN 1-22 “master” file and split it, to create individual videos for each of the number sequences (this sounds trivial, but it took a lot of experimentation to split them all at the correct locations and still have them sound seamless when played back).

I wrote a small Windows script to take the list of all the individual videos and randomise the order before writing it out as an “m3u” playlist file.

The last hurdle was to find a video player that supported true “seamless” playback of playlists. This was more difficult than I thought, but I managed to find it in a free media player called “PotPlayer”.
I have to say, it works amazingly well for this particular application.

I simply pick the tempo and key I want to practice, double click the corresponding script to create a playist (I have one for each tempo/key combination) and double click the playlist to start it playing in the media player!
The result really is quite seamless and is virtually indistinguishable from being a multi sequence file, except for it being in a completely random order each time I practice!

I’ve been using them for a couple of weeks now, and I really think it has helped to take my progress to the next level.

1 Like

Wow, I have no difficulty believing that required an awful lot of effort @paul. Congratulations on getting it working.

Thanks @DavidW .
Getting it up and running meant that I listened to the files a lot, so I think that actually helped push my practice regime along too! :smiley:

1 Like